Starting with the bare frame the first thing I did was attach the steam, handlebars, and seat. This was simply a matter of bolting things into place.
Making sure things were positioned correctly were not important at this point because I would have to fine tune the positions at the end project.
The next things was to install the crank. This consisted of a two parts.
For the type of crank that I got the first step was to install the bottom bracket cups. This screws into the bottom bracket (hole at the bottom of the frame) and acts as a place for the crank to sit for the specific diameter it is. There is a certain amount of torque you have to apply to each side so it doesn’t slip. For this you do need a special wrench, one that aligns with the notches you can see in the picture.
With the bottom bracket cups firmly in place the next step was to install the crank itself.
I didn’t take a picture of it so I pulled this one from the web below to show the axle the crank spins on. To install the crank it’s just jamming the rod through the bottom bracket on the frame. It’s a tight fit so you need a rubber mallet or something else to “hammer” the crank completely through the bottom bracket.
Once you have the right hand side of the crank in you need to install the other arm. There is small piece of black plastic that needs to be screwed on and requires another special tool. I didn’t get a picture of this so this one is from the web as well. With the cap screwed on all that’s left is to tighten the bolts on the left crank arm.
The instructions say to torque the bolts evenly and to a specific level. This is where I was very glad to have my torque wrench because it would suck to have a crank arm fall off while biking because the bolts weren’t tight enough.
Below are some pictures with the crank installed on the bike.
A couple of things to note, detailed instructions with torque settings came with the parts and I used those to guide my installation along with a book on bike maintenance I have. Also all the parts that I used came pre-greased and lubed as needed. If you have used parts or a different brand you may have to grease certain parts and use an anti-locking material on the bottom bracket cup threads.
This was the only part of the installation that I was worried about and it was surprisingly simple.